Friday, January 21, 2011

My Little Piece of the Mediterranean.

HandyHubby built this smaller raised bed to house a variety of classic Mediterranean herbs and one tomato plant. We crammed the herbs in and as a consequence it is now overflowing. I love brushing past this raised bed in the late summer afternoons and having the heady aromas of southern Europe erupt around me as I water. The silly thing is, that this little garden bed is hooked up for watering with its own mini irrigation system, yet I can still be found lovingly watering by hand. I know I use more water this way, but there is something about watching an arc of water cleanse and hydrate your own produce and watching for those little signs of growth and progress (and pests and weeds).

This bed contains:

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Oregano, Greek Oregano, Marjoram, Basil, Red Basil, Chervil, Dill, Limelight Basil, French Tarragon and Winter Savoury. My little corner of southern Europe delights me. I harvest often and add delicious freshness to salad dressings, casseroles, pasta sauces and roasted anything. Most herbs are easily grown by novice gardeners. You don´t even need a raised garden bed, you can use an old wheelbarrow, laundry tub or a half wine barrel. Set it up close to the kitchen so you are motivated to access it rain, hail or shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment