Friday, January 21, 2011

Vintage Saturday

I love anything vintage, kitchenalia, linen, manchester, crystal, furniture, cookbooks, clothing, you name it, I can fall in love with it. As such, I am an avid op-shopper. Give me a rainy day and I will happily drive around the countryside (blowing my carbon credits and putting on at least two shoe sizes on my eco-footprint) frequenting my favourite little op-shop haunts in hopes of finding a little vintage something for my home.

This weeks featured find is a GORGEOUS vintage mixing bowl and an old ¨Swift Whip¨ hand mixer. My grandmother swore by these little hand mixers for making the perfect cake. According to her, you have much better control over the consistency of your whipped ingredients over today electric beaters and mixmasters. They can be hard work if you have no hand mixing fitness, and I have almost none as we discovered when making little hazelnut and dark chocolate mini cakes for Christmas last year! (recipe to come, they seriously are to die for and I WISH I had have photographed them!!!!!) As for the beautiful little mixing bowl, I have no idea of it´s make only that it is ¨British Made¨ I found both items together in a gorgeous little op shop somewhere in Central Victoria.


The hand mixer, especially, bought home a rush of memories of my grandmother whipping up a baking storm resulting in a kitchen filled with the aroma of baking cakes that wrapped you up in the warmth knowledge that you were loved. I learnt alot about baking from my grandmother, I may not do it often, but when I do, I can still see her and hear her baking tips in the back of my mind. And that brings a smile to my face.

There is no way that I could leave these two little items behind in the op shop. Just bringing them into my home took me back to my childhood one.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha, I have one of those exact mixers that I bought at the flea market. Even worse, I had been looking for one for a while. My mother used one all the time when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vintage too! I recently bought a 50's ice crusher ("Ice o Mat") from the op shop, complete with it's original box and I just love it to bits. Come to think of it, I must post a pic of it soon! Thanks for stopping by blog. I've been enjoying yours too.

    ReplyDelete